With summer approaching and the sun shining brighter each day, we are gearing up for our next Giving Back Campaign. We wanted to choose an organization to give back to that both fit our mission of building stronger communities and focused on paving a brighter future for our children (the educator in me never dims). We sought out an organization with a clear plan to help the kiddos of Wisconsin shine.
We will donate 5% of our sales from May 25th - June 25th to the Shine Through Program at Children's Wisconsin. Shine Through works to create solutions for mental and behavioral health. Disappointingly, Wisconsin ranks 42nd in the nation in providing kids access to mental health care and our youth suicide rate is the second highest in the country. Fifty percent of individuals who experience mental illness during their lifetime show symptoms before age 14. Shine Through addresses these statistics through their three central goals: to increase early detection and prevention, increase access to pediatric mental and behavioral health care, and reduce stigma.
Our donation will provide direct support to one or more of the following initiatives:
- Expand screening for depression and anxiety
- Create a hub to coordinate the work of specialists and programs for children five and under
- Expand school-based therapy and programs to reach kids at school
- Offer mental and behavioral health services in primary care pediatricians' offices
- Offer a pediatric psychiatric assessment team and space in the Children’s Emergency Department and Trauma Center
For more details on these initiatives as well as a more comprehensive look at the work of Shine Through, please visit: Shine Through: Creating solutions for mental and behavioral health.
As always, thank you for shopping with us. We especially appreciate your support during our Giving Back Campaigns. #communityinspired
*data provided by Children's Wisconsin